In the summer, the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (TA CR) announced the preliminary parameters of the 11th public call for tenders under the TREND - Newcomers programme. The call of the Newcomers sub-programme is aimed at starting up own research and development activities of enterprises that have not yet carried out their own research and development activities on a regular basis nor purchased research and development services from research organisations. Thus, only enterprises that have not received R&D support in the last five years, even in the form of tax deductions, can apply for support under this programme. Projects and applicants throughout the Czech Republic will be supported.
The programme will support projects whose aim is to achieve a specific applied result of research and development with a proven way of subsequent application in practice. Projects should therefore focus on one of the following areas:
- Advanced manufacturing technologies
- Advanced materials
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cybersecurity and digital connectivity
- Photonics and Nanoelectronics
It is also relevant to note that the supported projects must lead to a significant increase in the international competitiveness of the applicant.
What the support can be used for:
- Personal costs (including stipends) – for researchers, technicians and other support staff not necessary for the implementation of the project
- Indirect costs reported as “flat rate” up to 20 % exclusively necessary for the implementation of the project
- Other direct costs
- The beneficiary may be a newly established enterprise, i.e. the usual condition of a two-year accounting history is not necessary. However, the applicant is required to provide evidence of the method of co-financing the project
Who may apply:
- Small, medium-sized and large enterprises – as a main applicant or as an additional participant that has not received public support for R&D in the last five years.
- Research organisations – at least one research organisation is required as an additional participant with a minimum share of 10% of the total costs in case of so-called effective collaboration.
Form and amount of subsidy:
- Maximum amount of total eligible project costs: CZK 15 million
- Level of support: 80% for all participants
- Support is paid to the applicant’s account in advance, i.e. ex-ante
Dates and deadlines:
- Announcement of this call for tenders: 4 October 2023
- Opening date for the receipt of applications: 5 October 2023
- Closing date for the receipt of applications: 22 November 2023
- Minimum duration of the project: 12 months
- Maximum duration of the project: 42 months
- Completion of the physical implementation of the project: 31 December 2027
The TREND programme also includes the 12th public call “Technology Leaders”, which is intended for companies that already have experience in research and development. According to current information, it is planned to be announced in Q2 2024.